Alternative Names The Clock Tower
Location Corner of High Street and Tring Road, Wendover
Map location exact or closely approximate
Year opened 1842
Year closed Unknown
Century of Operation 1800-1899
Building Type clock tower
Remarks Grade II listed. 'Purpose built to house the fire engine and to provide a lock-up' (Roy's Blog), although the latter is unverified. Formerly the Tourist Information Office but now serves as Wendover Parish Council's offices.
'Clock Tower with attached wall and drinking fountain GV II Clock tower 1843, with alterations and turret of 1870;altered 1985 Square in planj3-stagesjground floor chequer brick with gothic arched doorway to W. side,window to N.land similar arched blank niches containing stone roundels to other sides. Tiled pyramid roof, with dentil brick eaves, and small triangular dormers to S. and E. sides, rising to base of clock turret, red brick with arched recesses containing clock faces and paired ventilator slits below. Stone plaques recording Parish Council owning the clock 1842, erection of tower by Abel Smith Esq., Lord of this Manor 1842 and rebuilding of 1870. Chamfered string at clock face level, tiled pyramid roof with dentil eaves, with wooden bell turret above having tiled spirelet and finial. Attached on the S. side is a low red brick wall with stone dressings and a drinking fountain with stone bowl in gothic arched recess. History; the building was originally designed to house the parish fire engine. Interior adapted to Tourist Office 1985.'
Historic England, National Heritage List for England, 'Clock Tower With Attached Wall and Drinking Fountain, High Street, LEN1332853