Location Market Place Melksham
Map location exact or closely approximate
Year opened unknown
Year closed 1847
Century of Operation 1800-1899
Building Type Lock-Up
Remarks Later used as a weighbridge. Demolished in 1946-7.
'The lock-up in the Market Place at Melksham was demolished in 1946. It had been in use until 1847 when a police house and cells were built for the constable. It was a small octagonal building and the roof had similarities to the one at Castle Cary but with a huge finger signpost on top which in turn was topped with a gas lamp.'
Description: Notes attached to photograph: 'A group of firemen using their hoses and brushes, appearing to be cleaning a set of hoses lined up on the ground next to the town pump in Market Place, with a bus parked on the right and the lockup cum weighbridge on the left, and houses beyond, includes onlookers and a street light in the foreground, Melksham, Wiltshire 1939-1946.'
Archive name: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre
Catalogue ref: WILTM:P17543
Collection: MODES Database
Description: Photograph. Melksham, Market Place, lock-up cum weighbridge in background.