Location Swift's Hollow, 19 The Hill, (alternatively, rear of 21 Swift's Hollow, Cromford Hill), Cromford
Map location exact or closely approximate
Year opened Unknown
Year closed Unknown
Century of Operation 1700-1799
Building Type Lock-Up
Remarks Grade II listed. Now owned by The Arkwright Society and in use as an art gallery.
'Lock-Up with keeper's accommodation above, now a garage and store. 1790. Coursed rubble with ashlar dressings. Slate roof with 2 brick stacks. 2 storey. 5 bay front. Right-hand doorway with plank door, reached up 2 steps with large square lintel. To the left a 2 light flush mullion window, and beyond another similar door and beyond again another 2 light flush mullion window. To the left an inserted pair of garage doors. Above to the right a 2 light window which has lost its flush mullion, and to the left 2 half glazed loft doors. The north-west gable front has an upper 3 light flush mullion window with its original wooden glazing bars. The interior on the ground floor contains 2 lock-up cells with iron doors.'
Historic England, National Heritage List for England, 'The Old Village Lock Up to Rear of Number 21 Swift's Hollow, Cromford Hill', Cromford, LEN1248427
'Previously owned by Sir Richard Arkwright in the 1700's [sic] when he used the building as the village gaol.'
Cromford Mills, 'The Old Lock Up Studio'
'A two-storey three-bay building constructed of coursed gritstone with a graduated Derbyshire slate roof. It was originally built as a terrace of three cottages early in the 18th century, but in 1790 the ground floor of the centre cottage was converted to a village lock-up. The lock-up contains two small cells with metal doors. One cell retains its original bunk, which is suspended from the walls by chain. The lock-up, the adjacent space and the room above have been renovated by the Arkwright Society and the upper floor is now in commercial use. '
Derwent Valley Mills, 'Richard Arkwright's Factory Village'