Location High Street, opposite Market Hall, Chipping Campden
Map location exact or closely approximate
Year opened 1871
Year closed 1991
Century of Operation 1800-1899, 1900-1999
Building Type Police Station, Courthouse
Remarks Building conveniently contains both Police Station and Magistrates' Court. Cells located beneath the courtroom. Replaced an earlier police station located on the corner of Cidermill Lane. The last sitting of the Magistrates Court was on 25 September 1991. Sam Fogarty Boyce's website on the history of the police station, created in conjunction with the Chipping Campden History Society contains a wealth of information about the building, including the police officers stationed here throughout its history: https://campdenhistory.wixsite.com/campdenpolicestation.
'The Police Station and Magistrates' Court was built between 1870 and 1872. Inscription on the front of the building reads: 'VR County Police Station 1871'. The building included lodgings for the Police Superintendent and Sergeant (and their families) and 3 or 4 cells beneath the courtroom as well as court facilities. The 1881 census includes a prisoner, Joseph Jones, who was locked up in one of the cells at the time! The last sitting at the Court was in September 1991. The building is now owned and run by The Peelers Trust - a local charity set up to buy and run the building as a community venture. It currently houses: The Tourist Office, Town Clerk's Office, The Post Office, the Campden History Society Archive Room, several commercial offices, and a ground floor shop. The prison cells remain.'
Information kindly supplied by Carol Jackson of the Chipping Campden History Society
'[Steps at the back of the 'police station'] were used as the entrance to the court room above the police station because they couldn't have criminals walking through the police living quarters or offices filled with private documents and off duty officers. The phrase "Have you been up the steps?" became commonly uttered among petty criminals and normal civilians of Chipping Campden.'
Sam Fogarty Boyce, 'The Old Chipping Campden Police Station', https://campdenhistory.wixsite.com/campdenpolicestation, August 2019
Description: Exterior, c.1900. Dated inscription - 'VR County Police Station 1871' - can be seen above the door, behind the lamp.
Description: Courtroom - view from the bench
Description: Courtroom - on final day of sitting, 25 September 1991
Description: The former police station and magistrates court, in August 2019, operating as a commercial centre, housing the Tourist Information Centre, the Post Office, Dandelion a gift shop, the History Society Archive Room, amongst others.
Description: Close up of the exterior of the old Chipping Campden police station in August 2019 shows the inscription above the door: 'VR County Police Station 1871'