Alternative Names The Cage
Location Junction of Church Street and Dell Springs, Buntingford
Map location exact or closely approximate
Year opened Unknown
Year closed Unknown
Century of Operation 1700-1799
Building Type Lock-Up
Remarks Grade II listed. Built early 18th century. Restored 1999.
'Town lockup. Early C18, walltop and roof renewed in mid C19. Red brick in English-bond, top of wall in Flemish-bond with toothed corbelled top, dark weatherboarding to gable triangles, and boarded roof covered in sheet iron. A small square building near the bridge over the River Rib, about 3m x 3m, orientated N-S with central door on S. Recessed battened and framed door with decorative ironhinges hung on iron pins from heavyframe under timber lintol. Shaped ends to wallplates and purlins projecting at each end. Of special historic interest as a local antiquity. '
Historic England, National Heritage List for England, 'The Cage or Lockup', Buntingford, LEN1347993