Location High Street Amesbury
Map location exact or closely approximate
Year opened 1827
Year closed 1912
Century of Operation 1800-1899, 1900-1999
Building Type Lock-Up
Remarks Roy's blog states: 'converted into commercial premises - Lime Tree Houses, 2 High Street'. Leslie Brooke notes that the lock-up was much larger than most village lock-ups, and much more like the watch house at Frome town bridge. He also states that it was, for a time, occupied by a milk bar.
'In 1827 a lockup with a curved west wall was built in the north-east angle of High Street and the market place. (fn. 282) No constable was appointed by a court at Amesbury after the county police force was formed in 1839. (fn. 283) There was a police station in Salisbury Street in the 1880s; (fn. 284) that and the lockup presumably remained in use until a new police station was built in School Road in 1912. The lockup was standing in 1993, when it was a shop.'
A P Baggs, Jane Freeman and Janet H Stevenson, 'Parishes: Amesbury', in A History of the County of Wiltshire: Volume 15, Amesbury Hundred, Branch and Dole Hundred, ed. D A Crowley (London, 1995), pp. 13-55. British History Online http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/wilts/vol15/pp13-55 [accessed 30 October 2019].
Description: Exterior, Lime Tree Houses, converted lock-up
Photo by: Photo © Shazz (cc-by-sa/2.0)
Description: Postcard, looking north along High Street with the lock-up in the right foreground and Sandell's leather shop on the left, Amesbury, Wiltshire 1900-1907
Archive name: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre
Catalogue ref: P3378
Collection: MODES Database
Description: Postcard, looking north along High Street with the lock-up in the right foreground and Sandell's leather shop on the left, Amesbury, Wiltshire