19th Century Prison History : 19th Century Prison Search

Everton Lock-up


Location   Brow Side Gardens, Everton Brow  Everton, Liverpool

County   Lancashire

Year Opened   1787

Year Closed   unknown

Century of Operation   1700-1799, 1800-1899

Remarks   Prince Rupert's Tower was originally built as a lock-up and is a grade II-listed building. The site on which it was built was used by Prince Rupert his army as a camp site in 1644 during preparations for the Siege of Liverpool, a battle which formed part of the English Civil War. Hence the lock-up became known locally as Prince Rupert's Tower. The date at which it fell out of use is unknown. However, in the 20th century it acquired a new purpose as an icon for Everton Football Club. The lock-up has featured on the Club's crest since 1938. In 1978, the lock-up was first used on the Everton F.C's player kit. The building was repaired in 1997 through a £15000 donation from Everton F.C. It is currently owned by Liverpool County Council.

Grade II listed former overnight lockup for drunks. Behind are Shaw Street and beyond, Liverpool Waterfront buildings.Wikimedia Commons User:Rodhullandemu

Further information can be found at


  • '1787. Red sandstone building in form of a round drum with conical roof. Now in public garden.'
    Historic England, National Heritage List for England, 'Former Lock Up, Liverpool', LEN 1062539


  • Wikipedia Everton Lock-up article
  • Atlas Obscura article on Prince Rupert's Tower
  • Roy's Blog, 'MERSEYSIDE. Lock-ups at Everton and Wavertree.' (06 April 2013)
  • Historic England, National Heritage List for England, 'Former Lock Up, Liverpool', LEN 1062539
  • 'History of the Crest', Everton Football Club website