19th Century Prison History : 19th Century Prison Search

Tring Lock-Up

Overview

Location   Church Square, High Street,  Tring

County   Hertfordshire

Year Opened   1680

Year Closed   Unknown

Century of Operation   1700-1799

Remarks   Lock-up situated under the old Market House. Out of use many years before Market House demolished in 1901

Tring Old Market House, 1890sCourtesy of Ian Petticrew. Original copyright unknown

Further information can be found at
https://www.prisonhistory.org/lockup/tring-lock-up/

Description

  • ' In 1680 a MARKET HOUSE was built here [Church Square] under a charter granted to Henry Guy, who acquired the Manor of Great Tring from the Crown. In 1901 the building was demolished'
    Tim Amsden, Tring Town Council, 'Tring Town Trail', 1994

Sources

  • Tim Amsden, Tring Town Council, 'Tring Town Trail', 1994
    http://www.tring.gov.uk/beta/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/twntrail.pdf