Further information can be found at https://www.prisonhistory.org/lockup/lock-up-house-at-bishop-aukland/
'A new lock up has lately been formed here out of part of an old house, the remaining part serving as a police office, and a residence for the keeper, who is also a county constable. The situation appears to be convenient and healthy. That part of the building which is used for the confinement of prisoners consists of two cells, each about 9 feet long, 6 feet wide, and 9 feet high. They are properly warmed, lighted, and ventilated, but the place was not very clean. The lock up house has been un use about three months, during which time about 30 prisoners have been put in.'
Inspectors of Prisons of Great Britain IV. Scotland, Northumberland and Durham, Eighth Report (Parl. Papers, 1843, XXV. & XXVI.441), p.92
Inspectors of Prisons of Great Britain IV. Scotland, Northumberland and Durham, Eleventh Report (Parl. Papers, 1846, XX.461), p.76