Location 4, High Street Wrington
Map location exact or closely approximate
Year opened 1825
Year closed unknown
Century of Operation 1800-1899
Building Type Lock Up
Remarks Now sandwiched between two houses. Front of lock-up was constable's office. Cells behind were windowless.
'1825. January 7th. Specification and Contract for Building a lock up house at Wrington joining to Mr. Jos. Durhams. A Double inch Oak Door with large head nails, Oak Frame to ditto 4 X 4, two inch Oak doors for the cells. Ditto to be hung with pivotts, Lock, Bolts and hinges of good materials and Quality. 1½ in. seats with boxes to ditto for the outside room and seats in the cells, the ceiling joice 4½ X 2 the rafters 3½ X 2¼, the purloins ditto 5½ X 4¼, the whole to be of Red Deal and covered with Queen slate and freestone carcase, with 2½ rabetted Battens and Copper Nails, a freestone Chimney piece and freestone chimney head, the wall in front to be faced with Nailsea Pennant and plinth course under. The wall to be of common stone as the plan directs, the 2 inside cells to be brick arched and plaistered 1 coat, the outside room to be plaistered 2 coats, and ceiled. -A Nailsea step in front, and a good Banwell or Nailsea stone floor, with 2 grates in the cells for sink. 1 stove grate. The whole to be done according to the Plan and in a good substantial and workmanlike manner, to the satisfaction of the Vestry by me James Cook, for the sum of £36.'
Somerset Records Office, Ref: D/P/Wri (reproduced at http://www.wringtonsomerset.org.uk/history/villagerecords/page75.html)
We don’t have any historical or contemporary pictures of this lock-up at present. If you could give us one, or maybe several, we would be delighted! Follow this link to submit an image of this lock-up. For more information on how to photograph lock ups for the purposes of historical research, please see our User Guide.
Archive name: Somerset Archives and Local Studies
Catalogue ref: D/P/wri/13/10/2
Collection: Wrington parish records
Description: Agreement, specification and Bill for building Lock-up. Described as next to Wood's office (c.1940).
Dates: 1825-1826, post 1937