Alternative Names The Round House
Location Junction of St Matthew's Avenue and Church Street, Worthington
Map location exact or closely approximate
Year opened Unknown
Year closed Unknown
Century of Operation 1700-1799
Building Type Lock-Up
Remarks Grade II listed and Scheduled Ancient Monument. Perhaps used as World War II pillbox. Adjacent animal pound demolished c.1958
'Lock up. Probably late c18. Brick throughout. One low octagonal storey with a single plain doorway, & tall octagonal pyramidal brick roof on a stone oversailing course, & capped by stone crown.'
Historic England, National Heritage List for England, 'The Round House', Worthington, LEN1177699
'The lock-up is octagonal, of red brick, with an octagonal brick spire. It measures approx. 3 metres across with 1.5 metre high walls surmounted by a projected stone string course. The octagonal brick spire is approx. 3.5 metres high and tapers to a strong finial. The overall height of the lock up is approx 5 metres. In addition to the door, it has a small slit window, which may have been inserted in World War II to convert it into a pillbox.' A pinfold was once attached to the Round House 'where stray stock would be held until claimed by the owner. It was demolished to make way for St. Matthew’s Avenue [c.1958]. '
North West Leicestershire District Council & Worthington Parish Council, 'The Round House Worthington'