Location town hall (Market Place) Woodstock
Map location exact or closely approximate
Year opened unknown
Year closed unknown
Century of Operation 1800-1899
Building Type Town Hall
'The Town Hall is a large handsome stone building erected in the centre of the market-place, in 1766, after a design by Sir Wm Chambers and at the expense of the Duke of Marlborough. Beneath the hall is a piazza, used as a market-place, and also some cells for prisoners.'
Robert Gardner, History, Gazetteer and Directory of the County of Oxford (1852), p. 469
'a dungeon under town hall is used for the safe custody of prisoners until commitment, and for the confinement of persons convicted before the magistrates of petty offences'
Royal Commission of Inquiry into Municipal Corporations of England and Wales, First Report, Appendices: Part 1 (Parl. Papers, 1835, XXIII.1), p.143
We don’t have any historical or contemporary pictures of this lock-up at present. If you could give us one, or maybe several, we would be delighted! Follow this link to submit an image of this lock-up. For more information on how to photograph lock ups for the purposes of historical research, please see our User Guide.