Location Kingsbury Square side of the Guildhall Wilton
Map location exact or closely approximate
Year opened unknown
Year closed unknown
Century of Operation 1700-1799, 1800-1899
Building Type Prison
Remarks Formerly a prison for persons confined from court of record, by 1835 only used as a lock up house. Volume 6 of the VCH for Wiltshire, states that the town gaol, 'known in the 16th century as "Brown's Bower", stood on the Kingsbury Square side of the Guildhall.'
'There was formerly a prison in which persons were confined under the process of the court of record, and one person is remembered to have been confined in it about 60 years ago. The dimensions of the prison being small, he had the privilege of going out by day and ranging in the open air as far as a chain of 15 or 20 yards in length, by which he was attached, would allow him to go; and it was only during the night that he was in close confinement. The prison is now only used as a lock-up house'
Royal Commission of Inquiry into Municipal Corporations of England and Wales, First Report, Appendices: Part 2 (Parl. Papers, 1835, XXIII.133), p.1401
We don’t have any historical or contemporary pictures of this lock-up at present. If you could give us one, or maybe several, we would be delighted! Follow this link to submit an image of this lock-up. For more information on how to photograph lock ups for the purposes of historical research, please see our User Guide.