Location police station Wigan
Map location in the vicinity
Year opened unknown
Year closed unknown
Century of Operation 1800-1899
Building Type Police Station
'The principal lock up house is in the middle of the town, and forms part of the police office. It belongs to the borough, and is under the jurisdiction of the magistrates. There are seven cells, the largest of which is 17 feet long, 10 feet broad, and 8 1/2 feet high and the least 11 1/2 feet long and 9 3/4 feet broad, and 8 feet high. Two of the cells are damp, but the others are dry. Six are lighted by glazed windows, and the other by an unglazed grating opening into a passage. Three are partially warmed by heated air conveyed into an adjoining passage, but the others are not warmed at all. The ventilation is not good, the windows being too low. Two of the cells are insecure. There is a resident keeper ... The prisoners have benches and guard beds to lie on, and a kind of rug for bed clothing.'
Inspectors of Prisons of Great Britain IV. Northern District, Thirteenth Report (Parl. Papers, 1847-8, XXXVI.361), p.90
We don’t have any historical or contemporary pictures of this lock-up at present. If you could give us one, or maybe several, we would be delighted! Follow this link to submit an image of this lock-up. For more information on how to photograph lock ups for the purposes of historical research, please see our User Guide.