Location Court Lodge, Parliament St, Welton Welton, Brough, E Yorks
Map location exact or closely approximate
Year opened 1850
Year closed c1960
Century of Operation 1800-1899
Building Type Police Station, Courthouse
Remarks This building was the home of the Superintending Constable (later Superintendent) East Riding Constabulary, eventually becoming the local beat Constables home, until a new Police House was built in Dale Road at Welton in the 1960s. The last PC to live there was PC Fred Bingham. Now a private home, called Court Lodge, it had two cells and a Magistrates Room.
'Pevsner says "..POLICE STATION of 1850 by Lockwood & Mawson. Gothic, of grey brick with ashlar window surrounds.". The property is now a private residence and is currently for sale through Bannister & Co. and the following is an extract from their on-line brochure "Located at the North end of Parliament Street, "Court Lodge" was built in 1851 and was the village Police Station. Welton was located at the heart of a large rural police area and in 1905 the Station housed a Superintendent, along with 3 Sergeants and 14 Constables. It seems that the main business of this court was the collection of fines from poachers. To the rear of No.9, across the yard, was the cell block where prisoners were kept prior to an appearance before the Magistrates. A further Police office located next to the Coach House was erected around 1929 and the property was returned to a private dwelling in 1959. (Sources: "Richard Pearson's Welton Sketchbook" & "The Town of Wells" by G.A.Lloyd)".'
'The Old Police Station, Parliament Street, Welton', Geograph (https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/535171)