Location unknown Wath
Map location in the vicinity
Year opened unknown
Year closed unknown
Century of Operation 1800-1899
Building Type Lock-Up
'This lock up house is a detached building, tolerably well situated at about the centre of the town. It was built by subscription, and belongs to the town. It contains two cells, opening into a small porch. The cells are each 10 feet long, 7 feet wide, and 8 feet high ... They are nearly dark and are ill ventilated; the only provision for light and ventilation being a small round hole in the outside wall of each cell. These holes would admit of communication with the prisoners from the outside, but they are eight or nine feet from the ground. There is no provision for warming, but the cells are dry. There is no resident keeper, but the cells are tolerably secure. One of the cells is provided with a guard bed, straw mattress, rug, and blanket; but in the other there is nothing but loose straw.'
Inspectors of Prisons of Great Britain IV. Northern District, Thirteenth Report (Parl. Papers, 1847-8, XXXVI.361), p.103
We don’t have any historical or contemporary pictures of this lock-up at present. If you could give us one, or maybe several, we would be delighted! Follow this link to submit an image of this lock-up. For more information on how to photograph lock ups for the purposes of historical research, please see our User Guide.