Location North end of Bow Road, near car park entrance, Wateringbury
Map location exact or closely approximate
Year opened Unknown
Year closed c.1840
Century of Operation 1800-1899
Building Type Stocks
Remarks Original stocks once stood adjacent to Wateringbury Lock-Up (see separate listing) but were removed in 1840. Assumed lost but replica stocks were installed in 2013 (Wateringbury Remembered).
'The village Lockup (also known as The Cage) is sited at the top of Bow Road in front of the public car park and adjoining Pipers Garage. At this time  there were also stocks near the Cage. They are mentioned by George Newman in his book about Wateringbury and also in a letter written to Rev. Livett in 1896 by Henry Harris. This letter is among the Parish records held in the Centre for Kentish Studies. Around 1840 the timber [lock-up] building was replaced by the present building and the stocks were removed. '
Syd Thomsett, 'Wateringbury People and Places', 1996 (quoted on Wateringbury Local History Society website)
Description: Replica stocks, next to the Wateringbury Lock-up
Photo by: © Anne Logan (with kind permission)