Location Vestry House Museum, Vestry Road, Walthamstow, London, E17 9NH
Map location exact or closely approximate
Year opened 1841
Year closed 1870
Century of Operation 1800-1899
Building Type Police Station
Remarks Grade II listed.
'Former parish workhouse, now museum. Dated 1730, with addition to north of 1756. Plum brick, red dressings. Tiled hipped double pitched roof to eaves; pantiles to north extension. South front of 2 storeys; 5 bays, 2 to left set forward. Main entrance to centre bay with inscribed plaque over. Segmental headed windows, flush frames; 12 paned sashes, glazing bars. Moulded timber eaves cornice. North wing lower; windowless with doorcase imported from Church Hill House, having waterleaf capitals and arched doorway within. Interior with original turned baluster staircase with planked dado; simple original panelling to entrance hall. Imported C17 panel- ling and mantlepiece from Essex Hall, etc.'
Historic England, National Heritage List for England, 'Walthamstow Museum (Vestry House)', Walthamstow. LEN1191188
'When the Metropolitan Police 'took possession of the district' in 1840 they applied to occupy the 1756 extension of the [Vestry House] building, and from 1841 until 1870 it served as their police station...In 1870 the police were transferred to a new station in Lea Bridge Road and their old premises were taken over by the Walthamstow Volunteers for use as an armoury. [After 1891 it] was then used by a local builder for the next forty years. '
The Shady Lady's Guide to London, 'The Vestry and its Cage'.