Location Market Place, near the Town Hall, Wallingford
Map location exact or closely approximate
Year opened Unknown
Year closed c.1830
Century of Operation 1700-1799, 1800-1899
Building Type Stocks, whipping post and pillory
Remarks Moved to Wallingford Castle before 1899. Present location unknown. Wallingford was originally in Berkshire but was transferred to Oxfordshire in 1974
'In the middle ages frequently a pillory, whipping-post, and stocks were combined, and we give a picture of a good example from Wallingford, Berkshire. [see image below] It will be observed that they are planned to hold four delinquents, namely, one in the pillory, one at the whipping-post, and two in the stocks. They stood near the town hall, in the market-place, down to about the year 1830, when the pillory and whipping-post were taken down. The stocks remained for a few years longer to remind the tippler of his fate, if he overstepped the bounds of temperance and was caught drunk. In course of time they fell into disuse, and were finally presented by the Corporation to Mr. J. Kirby Hedges, of Wallingford Castle, the historian of the ancient town. He informs us that there was a pillory at Wallingford in 1231, and probably earlier.'
William Andrews, 'Bygone Punishments'. London: William Andrews & Co., 1899.
Description: Pillory, Whipping-Post and Stocks, Wallingford