Location King Street, police station Wakefield
Map location exact or closely approximate
Year opened 1829
Year closed c1870
Century of Operation 1800-1899
Building Type Police Station
Remarks The lock up in King Street attached to the police station opened in 1829 at the same time as the closure of Wakefield Town Gaol in George Street (ID 662). The Wakefield Historical Appreciation Society suggests the lock up closed in 1870 when the police station moved to Tammy Hall, Gill Street.
'This lock-up consists of two cells. They were tolerably clean, and contained [6 male prisoners] ... A vagrant house is contained within the precinct, which was remarkably clean and neat.'
Inspectors of Prisons of Great Britain II. Northern and Eastern District, Eighth Report (Parl. Papers, 1843, XXV. & XXVI.249), p.170
We don’t have any historical or contemporary pictures of this lock-up at present. If you could give us one, or maybe several, we would be delighted! Follow this link to submit an image of this lock-up. For more information on how to photograph lock ups for the purposes of historical research, please see our User Guide.