Alternative Names Cage, lock-up, Crosshouse, and Round House
Location Unknown but either on the Common near 'Gateway' and/or junction of Colne Road and Heath Road, Twickenham
Map location in the vicinity
Year opened 1684
Year closed Unknown
Century of Operation 1600-1699, 1700-1799
Building Type Lock-Up
Remarks Probably in two or more town-centre locations. Now demolished.
'Twickenham appears to have made provision for a Watch House, lock-up, and whipping post in 1684 when, on 1 February the Vestry ordered that the "crosshouse” was to be boarded up and "made in ye manner of a cage with a strong lock and keye, and also the Stocks be repayred and a whipping post to be new set up”within a fortnight..."at the Sundial in the middle of the Town"' In 1731 Twickenham built a new watch house. 'It may have stood, at first, on land at the junction of Colne Road and Heath Road' but in 1765, may have been moved (along with the stocks) to a 'suitable site upon the Common, at a dry spot near to the "Gateway"' Additionally, 'There is a print of St Mary's Church showing a small cabin standing at the corner of the churchyard wall, in 1796. This might have been for the use of a night watchman'
The Twickenham Museum, 'The Watch House, Stocks & Pillory: The administration of summary justice and quarantine 1684',
We don’t have any historical or contemporary pictures of this lock-up at present. If you could give us one, or maybe several, we would be delighted! Follow this link to submit an image of this lock-up. For more information on how to photograph lock ups for the purposes of historical research, please see our User Guide.