Alternative Names Tuxford Lock-up
Location Long Lane, junction with Newcastle Street, Tuxford
Year opened 1823
Year closed c.1900
Century of Operation 1800-1899
Building Type Lock-Up
Remarks Datestone above the door states - 1823. Two cell lock-up with a lobby. Small round ventilation holes for each cell at the top. Window inserts bricked up. In each cell a bucket privy with wooden seat.
' It appears that there was a lobby, with table and chair, inside the door of the use of the village constable. A cell at each side contained a wooden bench, with restraining rings and chains together with an earth toilet.'
Roy's Blog, 'NOTTINGHAMSHIRE. Lock-ups at Farnsfield, Mansfield Woodhouse and Tuxford.' (23 April 2013) (http://roys-roy.blogspot.com/2013/04/lock-ups-at-farnsfield-mansfield.html)
'Standing proudly on the village green, this lock-up was built in the reign of King George IV, before the days of the county police force. Controlled by the town constable, it held people while they waiting to appear at the county court in Retford. The constable was elected by the parishioners for a fixed term. A prosperous market town like Tuxford, would have its fair share of people considered to be undesirable, from paupers to highwaymen. If the constable needed assistance, he had the power to recruit men from the town. For the potentially violent, such as rioters or highwaymen, he would call out the local militia by magistrate’s order. With Sherwood Forest nearby and The Great North Road running through the town, Tuxford was notorious for highwaymen. Around 1850 workers known as navvies started to build the local railway. These men worked hard and played hard and were known for their drunkenness on pay day. This led to a temporary increase in the use of the lock-up, however its last prisoner was held around 1900.'
Caption for image of lock-up, © J.Hannan-Briggs (cc-by-sa/2.0), https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3334539