Alternative Names Tottington Dungeon
Location Eastern end of Harwood Road, adjacent to Old Dungeon Inn, Tottington
Map location exact or closely approximate
Year opened 1835
Year closed 1884
Century of Operation 1800-1899
Building Type Lock-Up
Remarks Grade II listed. Originally managed by publican and later adopted by constable. Occasionally open to the public
'Dated *1835' in bold relief numerals extending over whole door lintel. Constructed in angle between rear wing and rear of inn. Crudely rusticated store, with dressed coping. Single-storey. Iron bolted door of 6 panels (with large mortice lock and lion head above stone knocker) is set in bevelled corner. A primitive human face is carved on stonework on right side of door and key on left side. Roof of large slabs of stone with central vent. Originally managed by publican, then by village constable.'
Historic England, National Heritage List for England, 'Lock-Up Abutting Number 2 Old Dungeon Inn to South', Tottington, LEN1356820
''...thought to have been originally managed by the publican to temporarily incarcerate uncooperative drunks. Later it was taken over by the local constable.' '...capacity to accommodate six people. Prisoners would wear arm and leg shackles while seated on the stone bench' 'Last used as a lock up in 1884' 'Tottington District Civic Society have obtained a key for it and it is opened up on special occasions'. A nearby folly in Brandleshome Road, Greenmount, was built in the same year and has a similar style of construction to the Dungeon. 'The building is a summerhouse called ‘The Images’ and is in the private garden of Nabbs House. '
A. and R. Bowden, Lancashire Past, 'Tottington Dungeon, Bury'