Alternative Names The Roundhouse
Location North side of Main Street, east of junction with Church Lane and adjacent to bus stop, Ticknall
Map location in the vicinity
Year opened 1809
Year closed c.1850
Century of Operation 1800-1899
Building Type Lock-Up
Remarks Grade II* listed. Stored Home Guard armaments in World War II and, later, road sweeping tools.
'Lock-up. Late C18. Red brick with sandstone dressings. Small octagonal structure with a doorway to south with stone lintel and jambs. Studded plank door. Chamfered stringcourse at the base of the octagonal brick spire. The interior has a fireplace.'
Historic England, National Heritage List for England, 'The Lock-Up', Ticknall, LEN1096445
'built in 1809 for the a overnight accommodation of people arrested in the village' 'became obsolete in 1850.' 'used as a Home Guard arms store during the Second World War and since then for storing road sweeping tools'
The Staff of Life, 'Ticknall Village History, The Roundhouse / Lock-up'
'built during October and November 1809...The total cost of the building was £25 19s 11d...The Ticknall Round House is unusual in that it was built with a fireplace and has an open brick in the roof to act as an air vent. Evidence from the Constable's Accounts shows that the Round House was used by the village watch, which is the probable reason for the added comfort. It is not clear when the Round House ceased to be used for its original purpose. Some reports claim it to be in the early 20th century.' '...most probable use of the Round House was for the confinement of drunks who were usually released the next day, with no record kept of those incarcerated'. '[It is] possible that the Round House became obsolete by the 1850s, particularly as situated across the road in Main Street is the Police House with its own cell.'
Yvonne Crowden, 'The Ticknall Round House', Derbyshire Miscellany (Derbyshire Archaeological Society), Vol.13, Spring 1995, pp.119-121