Location Within former Market Hall, 12-14 High Street, Thornbury
Map location exact or closely approximate
Year opened Unknown
Year closed Unknown
Century of Operation 1700-1799
Building Type Market Hall
Remarks Grade II listed. Market Hall built in 17th century but lock-up likely constructed during remodelling in mid 18th century. Building also later used as a fire station.
'Market hall and gaol [Map C: 27] The former market hall is listed as a probable mid-18th century remodelling of a 17th century building (DoE 1984: 4/54) and Rudder mentions the ‘corn market-house’ as one of the public buildings in the town (Rudder 1779: 750). An agreement with a clockmaker in 1634 mentions that it should be set up within the town hall (Caffall 1992: 40): hence, it seems certain that there was a market hall on this site from at least the early 17th century.' 'A gaol or lockup was located in the market hall and still survives today under the stairs. Access to it can be gained by passing through two doors. The inner door is made of thick planks with strap hinges and an open window with iron bars. The outer door is made of studded planks with strap hinges. The 17th century date for the building is the earliest possible date for the gaol; however, it is likely that it was built when the building was remodelled in the mid-18th century. (DoE 1984: 4/54)' 'access to the gaol could be gained under the stairs in the [former draper's] shop; however, the former market hall, Nos 12 and 14, had become one property and the shop was using the gaol in the former market hall as a storeroom.'
E. La Trobe-Bateman for English Heritage, 'Avon Extensive Urban Survey Archaeological Assessment Report, Thornbury', 1996
'Probably mid-C18 remodelling of C17 building. Rendered. Hipped slate roof. Timber ventilation lantern at north end bears date 1664 HIC on weather vane 2 storeys. Six windows wide, segmental headed 16-pane glazing bar sashes, some blank. Venetian window in south end. Ground floor: formerly open Doric colonnade - now glazed. Modern door at south end. Interior: Under stairs is lock-up with 2 doors. Inner door is of thick planks with strap hinges and an open window with iron bars. Outer door is of studded planks with strap hinges. Nos 12, 14 and former Market Hall are now all one property, although the Hall is still a separate building.'
Historic England, National Heritage List for England, 'Former Market Hall', Thornbury, LEN1128803