Location On island site in Castle Street, opposite church and near junction with Church Road, Thornbury
Map location exact or closely approximate
Year opened Before 1840
Year closed Unknown
Century of Operation 1800-1899
Building Type Lock-up and animal pound
Remarks Grade II listed.
'Early C19. Lockup. Coursed rubble. Modern tiled roof. One storey. Two slit windows, high up. Gabled projecting porch and 4-centred arch headed plank door. Behind is Pound: 3 rubble walls (4th is rear of lock-up), approx 5 ft high. Gate in centre of south wall, small embraser to left of gate.'
Historic England, National Heritage List for England, 'Lock Up and Pound', Thornbury, LEN1321133
'A pound and town lockup are located to the east of the parish churchyard and therefore some distance from the main town area (SMR 5722; SMR 2454). They are one integral unit (Jones 1982) and the rectangular lockup building is in reasonable condition, with a single slope roof and a low blocked entrance. There are reputedly hooks inside the building for tethering the horses of churchgoers. The pound and lockup building appear on both the Tithe map of 1840 and the 1880 Ordnance Survey map. '
E. La Trobe-Bateman for English Heritage, 'Avon Extensive Urban Survey Archaeological Assessment Report, Thornbury', 1996
Description: Grade II listed former lockup and pound, Thornbury
Photo by: Photo © Jaggery (cc-by-sa/2.0)