Alternative Names The Nook
Location near the churchyard Taunton
Map location in the vicinity
Year opened unknown
Year closed unknown
Century of Operation 1800-1899
Building Type Lock-Up
'Not far from the churchyard wall stood the "Nook" or Lock-up. It was a place about twelve feet square, with only one iron-grated window. The floor and walls were damp and dirty; the floor had only a little straw to cover it, was infested with rats, and filthy in the extreme, and it seemed no one's duty to clean it [.] Into this hole drunken and bleeding men and women were thrust and allowed to remain there until the following day, when Batt, the Bumble of those days, would put on his three-cornered hat and long blue coat (both of which were trimmed with gold lace), take his staff of office, and march majestically to the 'Nook' to take the poor crippled and dirty wretch before a magistrate, followed by half the boys and idle fellows of the town.'
E.F. Goldsworthy, Recollections of Taunton by an old Tauntonian (Barnicott, 1883)
We don’t have any historical or contemporary pictures of this lock-up at present. If you could give us one, or maybe several, we would be delighted! Follow this link to submit an image of this lock-up. For more information on how to photograph lock ups for the purposes of historical research, please see our User Guide.