Location Old Town Hall (formerly the Market House), The Shambles, Stroud
Map location in the vicinity
Year opened Unknown
Year closed Unknown
Building Type Market house/ town hall
Remarks Grade II* listed but listing does not reference lock up. Anecdotal evidence only of cells or lock-up from Victorian era (or earlier) but they are not referenced in Stroud's 'Conservation Area Statement' 2008.
'It appears that there was a lock-up in the basement of the 16th century town hall at Stroud, but once again no further information has been forthcoming. '
Roy's Blog, 'GLOUCESTERSHIRE. Lock-ups at Lechlade, Stroud and Westerleigh.' (28 April 2013)
'In about 1594 this Market House was built by John Throckmorton'. 'The Victorians changed it into a Town Hall and County Courts, with some cells for good measure. '
Neil Owen, Geograph.org.uk