Location No 1 The Square, at the corner of Church Street and the Square Stow on the Wold
Map location exact or closely approximate
Year opened unknown
Year closed unknown
Building Type Courthouse
Remarks Lock-up located in a demolished courthouse. Building was demolished in 1899.
'The Reverend David Royce, Vicar of Lower Swell, gave a description of the building in his book The History and Antiquities of Stow, published in 1861. - The outside was decorated by pargetting. On the eastern front to the square, over the penthouse, there was a cusped diaper pattern, and on the south gable an ingenious design of two interlacing chevrons within a circle, surrounded by the petals of a Tudor rose. The oldest architectural feature was a buttress between the door and the window under the penthouse with its sloping weathering. It was probably 13th - 14th century. The upper part was probably 15th to 16th century. The lower, underground, room had a spacious fireplace in the West wall. The older names for the building were the Church House or Town House. It was used for Church business and for festivities on Guild or Church high days and holidays. The Court Room was used for the ancient Courts of the Manor: The Court Baron, the Court Leet and the View of Friends pledge. The lock up was entered from the pavement through the small doorway on the right as you face the building. '
Rev David Royce, The History and Antiquities of Stow (1861)
Description: The Old Courthouse, far left, c.1885. At this time being used as a butcher's shop