Alternative Names Stoke Newington Watch House, Stoke Newington Cage
Location 6-8 Lordship Road (at fork of Lordship Road, behind the Red Lion), Stoke Newington (London Borough of Hackney)
Map location exact or closely approximate
Year opened 1824
Year closed 
Century of Operation 1800-1899
Building Type Lock-Up
Remarks 8 Lordship Road is Grade II listed. Google 'Street View' shows former lock-up door now renumbered '6A' Lordship Road. Plaque on 6-8 Lordship Road says 'Parish Watch House, Lock Up and Fire Engine Room. Engine House built 1821. Watch House & Lock-Up built 1824'. Metropolitan Police division N took over the cage in c.1829, and retained it until c.1870. Only the original facade of the lock-up remains, the rear was demolished.
'Early Cl9 building on island site at fork of road just north of Stoke Newington Church Street. 2 storeys 3 window. Stuccoed front with incised lines; painted brick sides, Low pitched hipped slate roof, rounded above rounded front. 1st floor recessed curved sash window with vertical bars. Ground floor replaced by casement. Small doorway in west side. l-bay extension on east side has pointed arched window. 1-storey south wing of stock brick, with stone impost band and keystone inscribed 1821 to round arched recessed panel holding 6-panel door with radial fanlight. 2 small upper barred windows, Probably originally a Watch House.'
Historic England, National Heritage List for England, '8 Lordship Road, N16', LEN1226886
'The Stoke Tup Public House replaced a much earlier building (The Red Lion) on the site in 1925 and is important in views along the street. Behind it is a narrow road which cuts through to Lordship Road with a small collection of buildings dating to the early 19th century, including one dated 1821 (no. 6 Lordship Road) which once provided access to the village pound and watch-house.' 'Just off Church Street, no. 8 Lordship Road (grade II) forms part of an interesting group of early 19th century buildings, part of which is dated 1821. A plaque from the London Borough of Hackney records that this was the site of the parish watch room [sic], lock-up, and fire engine house.'
The Conservation and Design Team, London Borough of Hackney, 'Stoke Newington Conservation Area Appraisal', 2004, p.28, p.50
'The vestry decided to build a new cage on the south side of the brook in High Street, near the bridge at Stamford Hill, in 1803. (fn. 83) The cage was moved yet again in 1824, when it was built on land given by Joseph Eade in Red Lion Lane, near the pound and engine house. (fn. 84) The metropolitan police took over the cage and were presented in 1831 for erecting a chimney at the police station house in Red Lion Lane. (fn. 85) Although the police retained the station in 1870, by 1834 they were refusing to take charges there and Stoke Newington people had to go to Kingsland, presumably to the watchhouse on the Hackney side of High Street, south of Shacklewell Lane.'
A P Baggs, Diane K Bolton and Patricia E C Croot, 'Stoke Newington: Public services', in A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 8, Islington and Stoke Newington Parishes, ed. T F T Baker and C R Elrington (London, 1985), pp. 200-204. British History Online http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/middx/vol8/pp200-204 [accessed 28 October 2019].
Description: Stoke Newington Church Street Watch House Plaque
Photo by: Photo © John Levin (cc-by-sa/2.0)
Description: Front of the original lock-up, preserved, and encased within modern building
Description: Date, in the keystone of the arch above the door of the lock-up. Reads '1824'.
Description: Sketch, from c.1888, showing the original lock-up at the back of the Red Lion.
Description: Exterior of the lock-up. Unknown date, but before the doors and windows (apertures) were bricked up.
Description: Exterior of the lock-up. Doors and windows (apertures) bricked up.
Description: Demolition of the buildings surrounding the lock-up, and the rear of the lock-up. Only the original facade remains.