Location possibly somewhere on the London Road Stoke Newington
Map location in the vicinity
Year opened 1716
Year closed 1717
Century of Operation 1700-1799
Building Type Lock-Up, Stocks
Remarks According to VCH for Middlesex, a cage together with stocks was built somewhere on the London Road by the vestry in 1716, but were both pulled down in 1717.
'In 1716 the vestry ordered a cage to be built, and the next year someone pulled down both cage and stocks. (fn. 81) The culprit undertook to replace them in 1718 but in 1721 the vestry decided to move the cage, stocks, and whipping post to a place near the Green Dragon since their previous position, presumably also on the London road, was considered a nuisance by the road trustees.'
A P Baggs, Diane K Bolton and Patricia E C Croot, 'Stoke Newington: Public services', in A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 8, Islington and Stoke Newington Parishes, ed. T F T Baker and C R Elrington (London, 1985), pp. 200-204. British History Online http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/middx/vol8/pp200-204 [accessed 28 October 2019].
We don’t have any historical or contemporary pictures of this lock-up at present. If you could give us one, or maybe several, we would be delighted! Follow this link to submit an image of this lock-up. For more information on how to photograph lock ups for the purposes of historical research, please see our User Guide.