Location south side of the brook, High Street, near bridge at Stamford Hill (Stamford Bridge over the Hackney Brook was just opposite Abney Park Cemetry opposite Cazenove Road), Stoke Newington
Map location exact or closely approximate
Year opened 1803
Year closed 1824
Century of Operation 1800-1899
Building Type Lock-Up
Remarks Previous cage at Green Dragon (https://www.prisonhistory.org/lockup/stoke-newington-cage-green-dragon/) replaced by new cage on High Street in 1803. Moved again in 1824 (see https://www.prisonhistory.org/lockup/stoke-newington-lock-up/).
'The vestry decided to build a new cage on the south side of the brook in High Street, near the bridge at Stamford Hill, in 1803. (fn. 83) The cage was moved yet again in 1824, when it was built on land given by Joseph Eade in Red Lion Lane, near the pound and engine house. (fn. 84)'
A P Baggs, Diane K Bolton and Patricia E C Croot, 'Stoke Newington: Public services', in A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 8, Islington and Stoke Newington Parishes, ed. T F T Baker and C R Elrington (London, 1985), pp. 200-204. British History Online http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/middx/vol8/pp200-204 [accessed 28 October 2019].
We don’t have any historical or contemporary pictures of this lock-up at present. If you could give us one, or maybe several, we would be delighted! Follow this link to submit an image of this lock-up. For more information on how to photograph lock ups for the purposes of historical research, please see our User Guide.