Location Lichfield Road, Forebridge Stafford
Map location exact or closely approximate
Year opened unknown
Year closed unknown
Century of Operation 1700-1799, 1800-1899
Building Type Lock-Up
Remarks Made from stone from demolished medieval hospital/chapel. Left wall originally part of 17C. White Lion Inn (demolished). Repositioned in 1970s to make way for new Ring Road. Grade II listed. Staffordshire Past Track website has an image dating from the 1960s which shows the lock-up in its original position.
'Lock-up. C18. Ashlar. Rectangular structure with short wall ends to left return. Stone roof is offset with hipped right end. Entrance in plain surround with gabled lintel. Rear has large unglazed and barred window. Left return retains wall ends of the C17 White Lion Inn, now demolished. '
Historic England, National Heritage List for England, 'Forebridge Lock Up, Stafford', LEN 1195356
'At Forebridge in Stafford the lock-up and pinfold (for holding stray cattle) were built side by side. The stocks were conveniently situated nearby. In the 1930s the lock-up was used by a butcher for curing hams, smouldering sawdust being piled on the floor for this purpose. His shop was next door. The lock-up was demolished to make way for the Queensway ring road in the 1970s, but was re-erected nearby. '
'Forebridge Lock-up, Stafford', Staffordshire Past Track website (https://www.search.staffspasttrack.org.uk/Details.aspx?&ResourceID=38788&PageIndex=2&KeyWord=Lock%20up&DateFrom=0&DateTo=2019&SortOrder=0&ThemeID=0)