Alternative Names The Clock Tower/ War Memorial
Location Ground floor of the Clock Tower, Market Square, St Day
Map location exact or closely approximate
Year opened 1830
Year closed Unknown
Century of Operation 1800-1899
Building Type Clock tower and war memorial
Remarks Grade II listed but lock-up not referenced in listing.
'Tower and boundary wall GV II Clock tower (incorporating war memorial). c.1830, slightly altered. Coursed dressed granite, with wooden bellcote on roof. Square plan, plus a rectangular porch on the south side. Early English style, with chamfered 2-centred arched openings and hoodmoulds. Three stages, each set back above a weathered offset. The porch has a large arched outer doorway furnished with added ornamental wrought-iron gates, a small window in each side, and an embattled parapet over a weathered band; inside, the formerly matching inner doorway is now filled by a granite war memorial with the inscription:- PASS NOT IN SORROW BUT WITH PRIDE AND MAY WE LIVE AS NOBLY AS THEY DIED 1914-1918 followed by 39 names, plus 17 added for 1939-1945. The sides and rear of the 1st stage have blind arched doorways. The upper stages are the same on all sides: the 2nd has windows with Y-tracery; the 3rd has small coupled lancets under a square hoodmould, and a large clock face above; the top has an embattled parapet, and a tall octagonal bellcote in matching style, with a swept cap and weathervane. The boundary wall of the small square enclosure round the tower is of large punch-dressed granite blocks, in sections approx. 3 metres long with concave coping between short square monolithic piers which have square caps and are linked by twisted iron rails, with a wrought-iron gate in the centre of the front. (A modern public lavatory built in the enclosure to the rear is not included in the item.) The tower, built on a site known in the C18 as St Day Green, is a prominent focal point in this small town. '
Historic England, National Heritage List for England, 'Clock Tower and Boundary Wall', St Day, LEN1142554
''The lower room was at one time used as the town lock-up or clink'.'
Anne Knight, 'A Story of WJ Mills and St Day'. (WJ Mills Cottages Trust, St Day, 2013), p.24