Location rear of Market Hall (or town hall), Market Place Somerton
Map location exact or closely approximate
Year opened unknown
Year closed unknown
Century of Operation 1800-1899
Building Type Town Hall
'Market and Town Hall. C17 origins. ... The former Shambles House of at least 1688, repaired 1799. By 1841 focus of the meat market, but also used by local magistrates until 1870- the west porch is a former lock-up. Owned by Lord Ilchester, it was sold to the town in 1913. Included for historical interest and importance in street scene. (VCH, Volume III, 1974).'
Historic England, National Heritage List for England, 'The Market Hall, Somerton', LEN 1346033 (https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1346033)