Alternative Names Penny Cells
Location Butter Market, Snoth (alongside the church wall) Great Snaith
Map location exact or closely approximate
Year opened unknown
Year closed unknown
Century of Operation 1700-1799, 1800-1899
Building Type Lock-Up
Remarks According to Roy's Blog, the lock-up was 'known locally as "Penny Cells" due to the fact that incumbents had to pay 1d to the Constable following their pleasure at being incarcerated therein.'
'Former lock-up. Late C18 - early C19, with later alterations to roof of left cell. Built by the Vestry Board for the use of the Manor Constables. Brown brick with sandstone ashlar dressings. Pantile roof. Plan: 2 rooms, each with entrance to street. Single storey, 2 windows. Doorways with ashlar jambs and lintels and original heavy studded oak board doors, flanked by small single windows with ashlar surrounds and 6 vertical iron bars with single cross-bar. Swept roof to cell on right; later single-pitch roof to cell on left (collapsed at time of resurvey). Interior: cell to right retains original sandstone ceiling. Former boilerhouse adjoining to rear, and fire-station addition adjoining to right, are not of special interest. An unusual and important survival, empty and partly derelict at time of resurvey.'
Historic England, National Heritage List for England, 'Lock-Up, Snaith and Cowick', LEN 1161768