Location hamlet of Skirbeck, west side of River Witham Skirbeck
Map location in the vicinity
Year opened 1849
Year closed unknown
Century of Operation 1800-1899
Building Type Prison
Remarks This lock up was located in the Old Skirbeck County House of Correction (ID 48) which had closed in 1838.
'This lock up, situate about one mile from Boston, comprises 10 cells and a general ward for vagrants, all opening into an enclosed yard, the house of the superintendent of police forming the boundary on one side. The 6 cells in the upper story were clean and in good order; but 4 cells on the ground floor were damp, the floor being below the level of the yard ... The cells are warmed and ventilated with open stoves. The upper part of the building is apprpriated as a dormitory for vagrants.'
Inspectors of Prisons of Great Britain II. Northern and Eastern District, Seventeenth Report (Parl. Papers, 1852-53, LII.1), p.50
'the prison in the Skirbeck quarter being now only used as a Lock-Up, and the residence of Mr Thos. Hampton, the superintendent constable and inspector of weights and measures for Kirton and Skirbeck Hundreds or Wapentakes. The prison was built in 1809, and after being for some years unoccupied, it was converted in 1849 into a Lock-up.'
William White, History, Gazetteer and Directory of Lincolnshire (Sheffield, 1856), p. 290
We don’t have any historical or contemporary pictures of this lock-up at present. If you could give us one, or maybe several, we would be delighted! Follow this link to submit an image of this lock-up. For more information on how to photograph lock ups for the purposes of historical research, please see our User Guide.
Archive name: Lincolnshire Archives
Catalogue ref: HQS/B/16/11
Collection: Holland Quarter Sessions
Description: Conveyance and draft conveyance of lock up and land adjoining