Location Town Hall (Sheep Street) Skipton
Map location exact or closely approximate
Year opened Unknown
Year closed 1862
Century of Operation 1800-1899
Building Type Town Hall
Remarks Sheep Street town hall closed in 1862.
'This lock up house consists of two cellars under the town hall, one of which is approached from the street by a trap door, s flight of stairs, and then another door, and the other through the kitchen of a dwelling house. The latter was in use for household purposes by the inhabitants of the house through which it is approached, and the keeper stated that it was used as a lock up only during the yearly sessions. The cells are 12 feet long, 8 feet wide, and 6 feet high ... They are dark, damp, and ill ventilated. There is no resident keeper, but the cells are tolerably secure ... The cells are provided with guard beds, loose straw, and a rug. The only provision for a night vessel is an earthen jar.'
Inspectors of Prisons of Great Britain IV. Northern District, Thirteenth Report (Parl. Papers, 1847-8, XXXVI.361), p.107
We don’t have any historical or contemporary pictures of this lock-up at present. If you could give us one, or maybe several, we would be delighted! Follow this link to submit an image of this lock-up. For more information on how to photograph lock ups for the purposes of historical research, please see our User Guide.
Archive name: Sheffield City Archives
Catalogue ref: WWM/F/122/52
Collection: Wentworth Woodhouse muniments
Description: Text of a letter to Sir F. L. Wood urging the establishment of a new House of Correction at Skipton