Location unknown Ruyton
Map location in the vicinity
Year opened unknown
Year closed unknown
Century of Operation 1800-1899
Building Type Retail Shop
'There is a lock-up house in the borough, the upper part of which is let as a saddlers shop. Formerly the bailiff of the manor used to receive the rent of the shop; although no repairs have been done to it, at the expense of either the present lord (Earl of Powis), or the late (Lord Craven). About 20 years ago, the lock-up being in a very dilapidated state, the burgesses raised a sum by subscription among themselves for its repair, and have since been allowed to receive the rent of the saddlers shop (1l.) nominally however only, for none has actually been paid. The lock-up answers all the purpose here required for confinement of prisoners.'
Royal Commission of Inquiry into Municipal Corporations of England and Wales, First Report, Appendices: Part 4 (Parl. Papers, 1835, XXV.1), p.2859
We don’t have any historical or contemporary pictures of this lock-up at present. If you could give us one, or maybe several, we would be delighted! Follow this link to submit an image of this lock-up. For more information on how to photograph lock ups for the purposes of historical research, please see our User Guide.