Location Fish Hill, Royston
Map location in the vicinity
Year opened 1793
Year closed c.1897
Century of Operation 1700-1799, 1800-1899
Building Type Stocks
Remarks Assumed demolished at same time as the Cage
'The stocks, which had previously been relocated from their medieval site in the ‘tolbothe’ to the top of Market Hill, were moved to Fish Hill, next to The Cage, in 1793...The Cage and the old Fire Station had been demolished to make room for the Jubilee Fire Station in 1897.'
Keith J. Fitzpatrick-Matthews and Siân U O’Neill, Observation of works at Fish Hill Square, Royston, Hertfordshire, 2011. North Herts District Council Museums Service. 2012
'[the stocks and cage] were removed at a later date to the Fish-hill, when an addition was made to the west side of the Parish-room, for the purpose, where the fire engines are now placed. [There was an] estimate in the parish books for the erection of a cage and stocks in Royston, Herts., at a cost of £10, in the year 1793'
Alfred Kingston, Fragments of Two Centuries: Glimpses of Country Life When George III. Was King. Royston: Warren Brothers. 1893
We don’t have any historical or contemporary pictures of this lock-up at present. If you could give us one, or maybe several, we would be delighted! Follow this link to submit an image of this lock-up. For more information on how to photograph lock ups for the purposes of historical research, please see our User Guide.