Location Priory Lane (near junction with Market Hill), Royston
Map location exact or closely approximate
Year opened 1883
Year closed 1991
Century of Operation 1800-1899, 1900-1999
Building Type Police Station, Courthouse
Remarks Before the boundary changes of the 1890s the county boundary between Hertfordshire and Cambridgeshire ran east-west through the centre of town along the middle of Melbourn Street. (Martin Dawes, Geograph). Both Hertfordshire and Cambridgeshire Constabularies maintained police stations in the town.
'Old court, police station and police sergant’s house, Priory Lane. Built in 1883, these buildings form an important part of the town’s history. They are an attractive group of buildings of similar design and materials, constructed of gault bricks with red brick and terracotta dressings, and with small paned casement windows. Unfortunately the railings to the front wall no longer exist. '
North Herts District Council, ‘Royston: Register of Buildings of Local Interest’, Part 3, 27 March 2007
'The Old Magistrates Court in Hertfordshire has an interesting history. Originally built in 1883 as part of Royston's Police Station and Sergeant's House, the courtroom and cells still remain in this renovated home. The four-bedroom detached house, located in Royston, Hertfordshire, covers 3,100 square feet, and has four reception rooms, a two-room cellar, utility room and a distinctive open-plan kitchen/dining/living room, with granite work surfaces, a central island, integrated appliances and mezzanine family room above....[the former] cell number one is now a study featuring a drop glass desk with chain supports, spot lighting and a cast iron radiator. Cell two is now a gym, and cell three is a utility room with a range of base and wall mounted units, an oak worktop and an inset Belfast sink. '
Kate Avis-Riordan, House Beautiful magazine, 'Former police station and sergeant's house is now a charming family home'.
'It was built in the late 19th century and originally formed the town’s courthouse and police station, but after having been left vacant for a considerable period of time, it was used as an office in the mid1990s and then converted into this fabulous home four years ago by a local developer... The old prison cells – complete with the original cell doors – have been transformed into an office, a home gym and a utility room, and the open-plan kitchen, dining and living area, used to be the old courtroom'
Fine & Country Estate Agents, 'The Old Magistrates' Court' (sales particulars)
We don’t have any historical or contemporary pictures of this lock-up at present. If you could give us one, or maybe several, we would be delighted! Follow this link to submit an image of this lock-up. For more information on how to photograph lock ups for the purposes of historical research, please see our User Guide.