Alternative Names Rickmansworth Old Police Station
Location 'The old police station', 9 Talbot Road (now a private house), Rickmansworth
Map location exact or closely approximate
Year opened 1865
Year closed 1897
Century of Operation 1800-1899
Building Type Lock-Up, Police Station
Remarks The lock-up was attached to the side of the old Police Station, built in 1865, as the town's first purpose-built police station. Cells or lock-up was external to the building - built on the side. These replaced the town's cage. The external cell was demolished in 1960, but the 'shadow' of the lock up can still be seen on the side of the building. Used as a private residence since 1897, and later converted into maisonettes. 'Police Station' sign remains on the building.
'Rickmansworth’s first purpose-built police station was completed in May 1865. Situated on a new street named Talbot Road, the two-storey, double fronted station was ideally located to serve the town centre. A single storey extension, comprising two cells, was built onto the northern exterior of the station-house. The cell block was ventilated by a single window complete with bars, and rendered the town’s cage redundant. The station was initially inhabited by a Police Constable named W. Clark, who had already been a local officer for eight years. Over the next thirty years, the police station accommodated a number of different officers and their families. On 31st July 1889 the wife of a resident Constable, named Bates, gave birth to their daughter on the premises.'
Andy Wiseman, 'Rickmansworth's Police Station, 1865-1897', Herts Part Policing: Recording Life on the Beat in Hertfordshire' (25 July 2014) (https://www.hertspastpolicing.org.uk/content/police-history/other/rickmansworths_first_purpose-built_police_station_1865-1897)
'C or St Albans Division - Superintendent William Hummerstone, Watford; inspector Henry Duke, Watford; Stations [include] Rickmansworth...Police Station, Talbot road, [manned by] George Summerling, sergeant & 4 constables.'
Description: 'The Old Police Station' at Rickmansworth: Exterior. Showing the 'shadow' on the side of the building where the external cells were located and attached, as well as the old 'Police Station' sign above and to the right of the cells.
Description: Exterior of the Old Police Station, Rickmansworth, showing the lock-ups attached to the side of the building