Location The Quay Waterford
Map location exact or closely approximate
Year opened 1819
Year closed 1850
Century of Operation 1800-1899
Building Type Tower (fortification)
Remarks In 1819 the Waterford City Council converted Reginald's Tower into a lock-up - a prison to confine those convicted of petty crimes and a lock-up for drunks and accused criminals. An iron door was fitted and bars attached to windows. Female prisoners occupied the top floor (also known as the 'Ball Room', because they indulged in dancing while imprisoned) and male prisoners the floor below. Conditions were harsh. In 1848 rugs were provided for prisoners. The Council closed the prison and lock-up on 1 January 1851.
'The last prisoner in Reginald’s Tower was Meg Collender who was sentenced to two weeks imprisonment here for being drunk and disorderly in 1850. It was revealed at her court appearance that she had been confined in Reginald’s Tower for the same offence on over 150 previous occasions!'
'The entrance doorway - Prison door 1819', Reginald's Tower: Treasures of Viking Waterford, http://www.waterfordtreasures.com/reginalds-tower/whats-inside/the-entrance-doorway-prison-door-1819 (November, 2019)
Description: Reginald's Tower, exterior, showing the door to the lock-up and prison
Photo by: Photo © Oliver Dixon (cc-by-sa/2.0)