Location Stafford Orchard car park, Station Road, Quorn
Map location exact or closely approximate
Year opened c.1810
Year closed Unknown
Century of Operation 1800-1899, 1900-1999
Building Type Lock-Up
Remarks Grade II listed. Housed Quorn's fire engine after lock-up use ceased. Converted to public toilets then commercial premises for the Gas Board and, later, a takeaway. Village stocks adjacent (see separate listing)
'Lock-up and fire engine house, now used by EM Gas. Early C19. Whitewashed brick with plinth, angle pilaster strips, moulded brick eaves and Welsh slate hipped roof. 1 storey. Small central projecting section with door and a small barred 1-light on either of its sides. A further small barred window either side. On left side carriage doors, door and similar window. On right side a door and 2 blocked windows. Further small window to rear. '
Historic England, National Heritage List for England, 'Buildings Used by East Midlands Gas', Quorn, LEN1230029
'The old lock up was built on the village green in the early 1800s...and later housed Quorn's fire engine...By the 1920s it had fallen into disuse...converted into public convenience and was used as such until the 1960s...[later] leased to the Gas Board...owned by Townland Charity, leased to Quorn Parish Council and since the 1990s has been used for a take-away pizza business. Restored in 2010'
Quorn Village Museum, 'The Old Lock-up - then and now'