Alternative Names The Salisbury
Location by rear of Town Cellar, Sarum Street, Poole
Map location exact or closely approximate
Year opened 1601 
Year closed unknown
Century of Operation 1600-1699, 1700-1799, 1800-1899
Building Type Lock-Up
Remarks First recorded in 1601. According to Leslie Brooke, known as 'The Salisbury as the original building had been provided by one of the early lords of Canford manor who were Earls of Salisbury. The original building was demolished and replaced in 1820, and the remaining structure has 1820 on its datestone. The 1820 structure was built of the Broken Shell Limestone known to quarrymen as the Burr, from the Isle of Purbeck. Used until its conversion into a Store for the Harbour Board (date known) when a larger door was put in the end wall. Now part of the Town Museum.
'Gaol, now store. 1820. Limestone ashlar with a slate roof. Single-room plan. Single storey; 2-window range. 2 small barred windows and studded door between have chamfered surrounds; later double door inserted in the W end when used as fire station. INTERIOR not inspected. An historically significant survival, built as a lean-to against The Town Cellar (qv). (RCHME: County of Dorset (South East): London: 1970-: 204).'
Historic England, National Heritage List for England, 'Gaol attached to north end of Town Cellar', LEN 1224843
'A small prison for temporary confinement adjoins the town cellars, near the quay. It is called "the Salisbury", and is supposed to have derived that name from the building that formerly stood on the same site, having been erected, as a place of imprisonment, by one of the Longespees or Montacutes, earls of Sarum; and this opinion of its antiquity was well confirmed by the appearance of the old structure, which was taken down about eighteen years since.'
John Sydenham, The History of the Town and County of Poole, 1839. page 429.