Alternative Names Penkridge Old Gaol
Location Bellbrook, Market Place opposite Old Constable’s House and behind village stocks Penkridge
Map location exact or closely approximate
Year opened 1785
Year closed 1837
Century of Operation 1700-1799, 1800-1899
Building Type former barn
Remarks An 18th century brick barn converted into a village lock-up (or 'gaol' as locally known). Roy's Blog suggests used as a lock-up from 1785. Conveniently located across the road from the Constable's Cottage and behind the village stocks. Last used as a lock-up in 1837. In 2000, acquired by Penkridge Civil Society and refurbished as the Society's Headquarters and a village amenity. Grade II listed. Roy's blog states, 'originally a barn which was converted to a lock-up in 1785. It was restored by Penkridge Civic Society in the late 1990's and was opened as a Heritage Centre in 2000'
'Lock-up. Early C19. Red brick with ashlar dressings; plain tile roof. One storey with dentilled eaves; roughly 2 bays, central boarded door and small square window immediately left of it with iron bars, blocked segmental headed window to right. The lock-up is situated opposite the Old Cottage (q.v.) and is included for group value.'
Historic England, National Heritage List for England, 'The Lock Up, Penkridge', LEN 1039218