Alternative Names The Roundhouse
Location Ashby Road, opposite junction with High Street, Packington
Map location exact or closely approximate
Year opened Unknown
Year closed Unknown
Building Type Lock-Up
Remarks Grade II listed. Built in the 18th century but door 20th century. Used by Air Raid Patrol wardens in World War II.
'Lock-up of C18. Small red brick 1 storey building of octagonal plan with pyramidal octagonal brick roof. Stone and stone ball finial. Stone string course between walls and roof. Rounded arch doorway in front angle contains C20 door.'
Historic England, National Heritage List for England, 'The Lock Up', Packington, LEN1074344
'During the Second World War, Packington Roundhouse served as the ARP Wardens' post.' 'Packington Roundhouse was the last part of the Hastings estate in the village, but the Countess of Loudon was unable to maintain it. In 1997 she gifted it to the Parish Council who are currently restoring it as a Grade 2 listed building.'
Elizabeth Hewes, 'Betty's Travel Journals'. Fantastic State Company/ Paragon Publishing, 2011, p.182
'The Countess of Loudoun Donated This Building To The Village of Packington By Deed of Gift In 1997'
Plaque on door
'The doorway was bricked up in the 1950s after vandalism.'
Local resident, memories, dating from 1957-1964