Location Welsh Row Nantwich
Year opened 1860
Year closed unknown
Century of Operation 1800-1899, 1900-1999
Building Type Police Station
Remarks Built in 1860 on part of the garden of Townsend House, the home of the Wilbraham family. Police station with magistrates' court and associated cells and yards. The house stood where the King's Court houses are now - the site cleared for the housing development in 1997.
'The walled garden was laid out in the grounds of Townsend House, a substantial high-status property, built for Richard Wilbraham between 1575 and 1580. ... by 1876, the southern garden was occupied by a police station and magistrates’ court, with associated cells and yards. A portion of the gardens remained in between the cells and the southern wall of the walled garden, and a police house was built on this land sometime during the mid-C20.'
Historic England, National Heritage List for England, 'Walled Garden north of 82 to 96 Welsh Row, Nantwich', LEN 1115809
Description: Exterior of the current King's Court housing development on Welsh Row, where the Constabulary once stood.