Alternative Names Curfew Tower
Location Ground floor of the Curfew Tower, Junction of High Street and Oxford Street Moreton-in-Marsh
Map location exact or closely approximate
Year opened Unknown
Year closed Unknown
Century of Operation 1500-1599, 1600-1699
Building Type Curfew Tower
Remarks Grade II listed and a scheduled ancient monument. Tower built in early 16th century but exact dates of lock-up use unknown. However, Scheduled Monument listing indicates it served as a lock-up 'for much of its history' as no other place of confinement in the town. In 1633 the Tower acquired a bell, tolled night and morning and as a danger signal. In 1648 a clock was installed. Fixed to the front of the Tower is a list dated 1905 of the tolls charged at markets and fairs.
'Probably C16. Ancient stone rubble tower of 2-storeys. Arched window above 4 canted arched doorway. Interesting C17 clock. Curfew bell in gabled turret. Said to be the oldest building in Moreton-in-the-Marsh. Formerly used as lock-up, see Tudor-arch doorway with shielded door at south-west corner.'
Historic England, National Heritage List for England, 'Curfew Tower, High Street', Moreton-in-Marsh, LEN1341693
'The Curfew Tower at Moreton is one of the oldest structures in the town, and would have played an integral part in the life of the settlement from the 16th century onwards. It fronts directly on to the medieval and post-medieval market place and is known to have acted as a lock up for local drunks and minor criminals for much of its history as there was no other provision for their confinement within the town.' 'The tower abuts buildings on its north and east sides. The interior of the tower measures about 2m square, and there is no east wall indicating that it must have been built abutting an earlier or contemporary structure which was replaced during the 18th century. There is evidence that the walls have been plastered in the past, and there are wooden floorboards over an earth floor. Against the north wall is a low bench made from a wooden plank, presumably added when the tower served as the town's lock up. There is a second floor about 4m above ground level, also made from wooden planks, but there is no modern access to this level. In the south eastern corner is a wooden casing running from the wooden platform to the ground and measuring about 0.6m by 0.25m, the function of which is unclear. Both doorframes have studded wooden doors which are securely padlocked.' '
Historic England, National Heritage List for England, 'Curfew Tower', Moreton in Marsh, (Scheduled Monument Listing), LEN1018450