Location Hadley Green, west of the Great North Road, Monken Hadley
Map location in the vicinity
Year opened Unknown
Year closed Unknown
Century of Operation 1700-1799, 1800-1899
Building Type Stocks
Remarks It is not known whether the stocks were rebuilt in the same position each time
'New stocks were erected in 1787; they were placed near the pound in 1788, rebuilt in 1827, and in 1866 stood on Hadley Green west of the Great North Road'
'Monken Hadley: Local Government', A History of the County of Middlesex: Vol. 5. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1976.
'Sunday, 8 July 1787. At a Vestry held in the parish church for the purpose of taking into consideration the best means of carrying into effect the laws made against the profanity of the Sabbath, Resolved that the Churchwarden do immediately direct Stocks to be erected on or near the spot where they formerly stood and that two pair of iron hand cuffs be provided and given in care of the constable'
Frederick Charles Cass, 'Monken Hadley'. Westminster, 1880, p.198
We don’t have any historical or contemporary pictures of this lock-up at present. If you could give us one, or maybe several, we would be delighted! Follow this link to submit an image of this lock-up. For more information on how to photograph lock ups for the purposes of historical research, please see our User Guide.